M38CDN

Information Page


M38CDN

The first post Second World War jeep was the M38, similar to the wartime MB/GPW, with the notable exceptions of being higher, with larger headlight protruding from the front of the vehicle (not sunken, like the earlier jeeps) and a one piece windshield.

The engine of the M38 was the same 4-cylinder L-head "Go Devil" design as the earlier jeeps, but was geared lower.

Ford of Canada assembled 2,135 of the M38 model, officially designated

M38CDN, between Feb and Nov 1952, with an average cost of $2600 per vehicle (the cost was $2807 for the first contract of 840 vehicles). All the Jeeps were shipped from Windsor to Hagersville, ON for inspection prior to military service.

The last vehicle produced by Ford was serial number F102135, delivered on 27 Nov 1952.

A separate purchase order program with Ramsey Winch Company was established for the installation of winches.
[Side Note your data plate which at top right should read M38CDN WO/WN.

A few, very few, may have read M38CDN W/WN (meaning with winch).]
 

All the vehicles also had a convoy light installed as a field modification, done upon receipt by the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. Canadian Service
 

From the files at canadiansoldiers.com  Link


Canadian Service


As the British Army suffered defeat in France in 1940 at the start of the Second World War, many officers found that the large sedans they were using were not suited for military service, and hard to replace. A requirement was put in place for all officers of the British Army up to and including the rank of Brigadier to be able to ride a motorcycle (or in the case of colonels and brigadiers, to be able to ride pillion). The Canadian Army followed suit with these requirements.

The term "jeep" was in use in the US from before the war; some research indicates that the term was used by Canadian soldiers in 1936 to refer to a Ford-Marmon-Harrington half tracked truck. Colin MacGregor Stevens, curator of the Burnaby Village Museum, has researched this point in his archives and with veterans' accounts.

When the United States began production of the Willy's Overland 1/4 ton 4 x 4 truck, Canada tested both the original production model as well as the Willys MA, the Ford GP, and then ordered 5,000 custom Willys MB jeeps (designated the W-LU 440-M-PERS-1, though also loosely referred to as a Truck, 1/4 ton, 4 x 4, and nicknamed "Blitzbuggy" after the newly coined term "Blitzkrieg"). Additional orders for unmodified Willys MB, Ford GPW and Ford GPA jeeps followed.

It is unclear when "Jeep" entered the Canadian lexicon, but the vehicles themselves were popular, and a standard mount for officers down to sub-unit commanders (in an infantry battalion, for example, the CO and all company commanders had their own jeeps).

After the Second World War, many jeeps were disposed of. When the Korean War started, surplus jeeps of Second World War vintage were obtained from the United States for use in-theatre.

Operational Role:

Primary role is personnel carrier but could be fitted with stretchers for use as ambulance. Could also tow light anti-aircraft or anti-tank weapons as well as transport light cargo.

Equipment:

Two folding seats in front, detachable roof and side curtains. Windshield could be folded forward to rest on hood. Rear mounted spare tire, towing hook.
 

Performance :

* Bridge Class: 1
* Max Gradability: 60%
* Turning Circle (minimum): 34 feet
* Fording Depth: 18 inches
* Angle of Approach: 45 degrees
* Angle of Departure: 35 degrees
* Average Fuel Consumption: 15 miles per gallon
* Max Speed: 65 miles per hour

Engine Details :

 
* Manufacturer: Willys and Ford
* Type: petrol, 4 cylinder, 4 cyls in line
* Size: bore 3-1/8", stroke 4-3/8"
* Power: 60 bhp at 3600 rpm
* Ignition: battery, 6 volt
* Capacity: 12 gallons fuel, 9 quarts water, 4 quarts oil

Dimensions :

From the files at canadiansoldiers.com  Link


M28A1CDN

 

The M38A1CDN was built by Ford in Canada beginning in the early 1950s, as a replacement for the M38. Some went to the US, others - designated M38A1CDN - went to the Canadian Army where they would be in use up into the 1980s. In 1967, 800 more were ordered from the Kaiser Jeep plant in Windsor, ON, and these would be designated the M38A1 CDN2. In 1970-71, a third batch of Jeeps were ordered, though the Canadian factory had closed its doors in 1969 and the new batch of about 500 jeeps had to be ordered from Toledo, Ohio instead. The M38A1 CDN3 had some mechanical improvements over the earlier versions, and some CDN2s were also upgraded in 1984, with features such as windshield washers, self-adjusting brakes, and an air filter similar to that found on the M151 MUTT.
 

[ Side Note :" Canada did not built the M38A1. We built the M38A1CDN (Ford 1953); M38A1CDN2 (Kaiser 1967-1968) and M38A1CDN3 (Jeep in USA 1970-1971)"]

As the wartime Willys and later M38CDN were intended, the M38A1CDN was also a general utility truck, capable of employment in many roles and used by many different branches, including military police, signals, reconnaissance and medical applications (a longer vehicle known as the M170 was a purpose built ambulance capable of carrying a driver and three stretchers, or six seated passengers and was produced between 1954 and 1962) in addition to carrying personnel and cargo. The M38A1 was capable of operating completely submerged.

Cosmetically, the M38A1 differs from early Jeeps in having rounded fenders. Mechanically, there were several major differences as well. The Willy's L-head engine was replaced with an F-head "Hurricane" power plant with a top speed of 60 miles per hour. Stronger axles were also used on the M38A1CDN.

From the files at canadiansoldiers.com  Link


RETURN TO MAIN PAGE


Copyright 2008 CRMK.NET

No Pictures can be used with out permission

If you have any Questions Please Feel free to email me

VA3 RZS @ Gmail Dot Com